February 8, 2010

Decoration

If you've been living under the proverbial rock and didn't already know that the world is set up for heterosexual men, all you would need to do is run a Google image search for the words "Women, Sport".

The first two hits are of women's rear ends (engaged in playing beach volleyball - a demanding sport, I know, but still the costume? ).

These are followed by a few pics of women participating in sports that don't involve a bikini, an image of another woman in a bikini, but attached to an article about the misrepresentation of women in sports*, and of course then a few more bikini pics, one of these leading to an article that spells out exactly why the most 'hit' images using these search terms involve t&a: women's sport is only "right" when the women involved are pretty and wearing as little as possible

Reminds of former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, complimenting the captain of the Australian Netball team, by calling her an "ornament" to the game.

Argh.

I know, I know, not exactly news. It just gets me so mad. Especially since I came across such results while trying to find woman-positive images to decorate this place with.

I found very few, because apparently the women who populate the internet are all white, enjoy baring their tummies to an audience, and wear lippie to the gym. I probably wouldn't be given a visa to internetland- I sweat at the gym, get red faced, and don't usually wear spangled bikinis to go running.

So, now I have changed tack, and will be leaving the background as is for now.

If you have have a woman positive sports pic you want to share, send it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment